We're always interested in talking with good people, and you never know when we may suddenly need someone with your skills. Scroll down to see our current marketing and PR openings, or drop us a note telling us about your interest in Grasslands.
Diversity-in-Marketing Integrated Communications Internship—Summer 2024
Pay: $18.29 / hour plus a $750 / month housing stipend
Now in its fourth year, the Diversity-in-Marketing (DIM) Internship program is part of our Indigenous-owned agency’s commitment to attract, develop and retain diverse, high-potential, early-career marcom talent. As such, this opportunity is open to any current students and post-grad professionals who self-identify as members of a historically underrepresented group in marketing, public relations or communications. Grasslands is seeking to fill two DIM internship positions for the summer of 2024 (more details below).
- Grasslands summer interns will engage in a 12-week paid summer internship program from June to August (specific dates are flexible).
- They will gain hands-on work experience, professional development workshops, mentorship, networking opportunities and more.
- The bulk of our interns' time will be spent across our dynamic PR and Marketing departments, with the remaining 10% strategically allocated to HR and Operations, for a fully immersive and well-rounded agency experience.
- The interns will be assigned a mentor who will provide ongoing support and advice, share ideas and knowledge, facilitate weekly check-ins and, ultimately, help the intern tie their Grasslands learning experience to his / her/ their career goals.
- After completion of the program, Grasslands interns will have opportunities to further engage with Grasslands to jumpstart their careers.
The role requires working in person at Grasslands’ headquarters in Denver, CO, for the duration of the internship. In addition to the hourly wage of $18.29 / hour (for approximately 40 hours of work per week), Grasslands also offers a $750 / month housing stipend to help offset additional housing and transportation costs. Once onboarded, there is flexibility for a hybrid schedule.
- Support and execute media relations and marketing strategies
- Perform customer / market research and prepare documents and other marketing materials
- Ideate and drive newsworthy story ideas / pitch angles
- Monitor news cycle for proactive pitching in a timely manner
- Write email blasts, blogs, newsletters and other content marketing deliverables
- Research and maintain media coverage reports and lists
- Aid in tracking sample requests and other administrative duties
- Identify speaking opportunities and support on-site event execution
- Provide project management support through planning, scheduling and coordinating
- Participate in messaging workshops and other client-facing workshops
- Improve processes and productivity through solution-oriented thinking and strategy
- Support all client gifting and hospitality initiatives
- Coordinate in-office meetings and happy hours, including food, beverage, audio-visual needs, set up, clean up, etc.
- This unique opportunity is open to any current students and post-grad professionals who self-identify as members of a historically underrepresented group in marketing, public relations or communications—spanning LGBTQ+ communities and People of Color, including but not limited to Black, Latinx, Indigenous and Asian applicants—who are pursuing a marcom career.
- Applicants must be a recent graduate or currently enrolled in college pursuing an Associate, Bachelors or Graduate degree in communications, marketing, public affairs, public relations, strategic communications or a related major.
- Preferred 21 years of age or older (exceptions will be considered)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa or sponsorship by Grasslands
- Must be able to work in person at Grasslands’ office in Denver, CO (the housing stipend is intended to help offset housing costs related to any necessary relocation for the internship duration).
- Must be comfortable working with cannabis and psychedelic brands, nonprofits, advocates and others in the cannabis, psychedelics and drug policy reform spaces
- Must be comfortable working in an office environment following all CDC guidelines
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion at school or in her / his / their community
- Strong commitment to excellence and personal and professional growth
- Resourceful, intellectually curious, empathetic, poised, high-energy and mature
- Genuine interest in communications / marketing and finds problem solving exhilarating
- Enjoys working in a collaborative, feedback-oriented environment
- Self-motivated, organized and efficient
- Strong writer and effective communicator
The Ideal DIM Integrated Comms Intern Embodies Grasslands’ Core Values:
- Hold Your Own - We are accountable
- Go For it - We are strategic, bold and brave
- Share the Win - We are a village and celebrate together
- Sweat the Details - We are journalism-mindedTM; details matter
- Figure it Out - We are process-, solutions - and results oriented
- Over-The-Top Hospitality - We are community builders
If you found yourself nodding your head and silently (or not so silently) saying “hell yeah” when reading about Grasslands’ Diversity-in-Marketing Internship, we would love to hear from you! Please submit the following materials—referencing the key deadlines below—to email@example.com with the subject line: DIVERSITY-IN-MARKETING INTERNSHIP 2024
- Essay: Answer this question, “What is the biggest challenge you’ve overcome in your life (personal or professional)?” in 800 words or less.
- March 18, 2024—Final application deadline (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
- March 29, 2024 (no later than)—Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview
- April 15, 2024 (on or around)—Final decisions will be made and offers extended
Grasslands is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.
Founded in 2016, Grasslands is an Indigenous-owned marketing agency specializing in strategic public relations, integrated marketing, thought leadership and digital advertising in highly regulated and emerging industries such as cannabis, hemp, psychedelics, AI, biotech, real estate and beyond. The Grasslands team hustles hard, dreams big and demands more for our clients. We’ve tactfully guided clients through launches and acquisitions, celebrations and crises, IPOs and exits—and our client criteria sets the standard for the brands with which we collaborate. The team is led by veteran journalist and award-winning marketer Ricardo Baca, Grasslands’ Founder and CEO. Grasslands is proud to have been awarded the prestigious Denver Business Journal 2020 Small Business Award, and Westword magazine named Ricardo one of Six People to Watch in Colorado Cannabis in 2021.